Photograph by Frances Howorth
Progress is surging ahead with the construction of facilities for Superyachts in the heart of London during the Olympic Games.
The Canary Wharf financial district will be the centre of this with added space in the Royal Docks by City Airport plus some mid-river moorings.
Yachts up to 200m LOA and 30m beam can be accommodated.
The key for yacht captains and owners now is early commitment to ensure that sufficient space, facilities and services are put in place.
VIP tickets are available for all aspects of the Olympic Games including the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Many of the Olympic venues are on the waterfront and it is hoped that even the Olympic Park can be accessed by a private water taxi service.
On the South coast the UK’s regatta program is taking off with some of the World’s largest and most beautiful yachts racing here between June and August 2012, events include:
- Westward Cup
- J Class Regatta, Falmouth
- JP Morgan Asset Round the Island Race
- 8m and 12m World Championships
- Cowes Super Yacht Cup
- Panerai British Classic Week
- J Class Solent Regatta including 1851 Hundred Guinea Cup
- Brewin Dolphin Commodore’s Cup
- Sailing Olympics, Weymouth and Portland – berths and anchorages are available for Superyachts
- Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week
- Paralympic Sailing in Weymouth and Portland
The British society calendar is also packed with special events like the Diamond Jubilee Pageant when the Queen will lead a flotilla of 1,000 boats down the Thames.
Along with traditional events such as:
- Chelsea Flower Show
- Royal Ascot
- Silverstone Grand Prix
- Golf Open
- Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Edinburgh Festival
- and horse racing across the Channel in Deauville.
Setting themselves up as experts in such fields is Yachts London a specialised and hands-on team headed by Hugh Agnew and Gemma Glanville, well known for managing very high end charter and private yachts in the UK.
They have specialist knowledge of operating yachts in the UK and on the river Thames in particular.
They have experience with all aspects and are familiar with regulations and authorities including the multitude of land and dock owners, pier operators, moorings, PLA, MCA, security and suppliers.